In the wake of the collapse of an Italian overpass in Genoa on Tuesday, the crown corporation responsible for the Champlain and Jacques Cartier bridges said Montreal’s busiest span is completely safe.
In a statement issued Wednesday, Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (JCCBI) said the Champlain Bridge is “very stable.”
The corporation said the structure has suffered some premature degradation since its inauguration in 1962 due to the lack of an adequate drainage system and the use of de-icing salts. To keep the bridge safe, it has been reinforced and is being monitored by engineers constantly.
“Three hundred and thirty-five sensors were installed to monitor the bridge’s behaviour continuously,” the corporation said. “Any unusual behaviour can be detected, and JCCBI teams can respond quickly.”
Nearly 60 million people cross the Champlain Bridge every year. JCCBI said it is putting every effort into making sure users can safely cross the bridge until it is decommissioned.
The new Champlain Bridge is scheduled to open in December 2018.
Montreal is pledging more than $1 million to help Sun Youth in its move to a new location this fall, the city announced Wednesday.
The money, a total of $1,145,000, will pay for the non-profit’s rent at their new headquarters for the next three years, said a statement from the city. Their new location will be 6700 Parc Ave., just 600 metres away from their current St-Urbain St. headquarters.
Last spring, the Commission scolaire de Montréal, which owns the former Baron Byng High School that has served as the organization’s headquarters since 1981, announced it would be taking back the space, said Ernie Rosa, Sun Youth’s property management director.
Since then, they have been searching for a space that would meet all of the organization’s needs. Rosa said that has been particularly tricky considering their desire to stay in the pricey Plateau neighbourhood, where property rents for $60 to $80 per square foot. He said it was important that they remain close to Jeanne-Mance Park, where their football program is held. The bonus of the new location is that they are just one bus ride away from both the Place-des-Arts and Parc métro stations, Rosa said.
Sun Youth will also be renting space in the city-owned Maison Blanche building on the corner of Mont-Royal and Parc Aves. for about $25,000 per year, which will also be covered by Montreal’s pledge. The city will foot the bill for required renovations to the building, though they did not say how much that is expected to cost.
Five boroughs across Montreal will get their first Bixi bike-docking stations in 2019, the city says.
On Wednesday, the mayor’s office announced a $4.7-million plan to buy 1,000 new bikes and to build 60 new docking stations across the island.
Anjou, Lachine, Montréal-Nord, St-Laurent and St-Léonard will get their first Bixi docking stations.
All of the new stations are expected to be operational by spring 2019.
The bike-sharing program has been operating in Montreal for 10 years.
As of Wednesday, electric Bixi bikes are available to riders as part of a pilot project.